How To Access Email Without Webmail
There are several methods of accessing your email without using YSTV Webmail.
This is the easiest and most useful for day-to-day use. Using this method you can manage your emails from any email-enabled smartphone, or from desktop clients such as Outlook or Thunderbird.
Settings for Receiving
|Password||Your YSTV Password|
Settings for Sending
Unfortunately the University has retired off-campus SMTP, so if you are exclusively working on-campus (setting up your mail on a machine in YSTV for example), you can use the internal mail server:
|Username||Your University Username (e.g. abc123)|
|Password||Your University Password|
If you ever want to send email off-campus, there is a gateway called stargate which (among other things) acts as an email gateway, however you'll need a separate account. Speak to the computing team to request one.
|Username||Your Stargate Username|
|Password||Your Stargate Password|
- Open the Mail application, tap the menu icon and choose New Account.
- Choose "Other (POP3/IMAP)".
- Tap the "Manual Setup" button.
- Choose IMAP from the protocol menu.
- Enter the necessary details (See Settings for Receiving above) and tap Next.
- Enter the necessary details (See Settings for Sending above) and tap Next.
- Enter your name and tap "Finish Setup".
- To synchronise any other mail folders, tap the menu, choose Settings, then "Sync, Send & Receive", and then "Folders to sync".
- Open Settings and select "Mail".
- Choose "Accounts", then "Add Account".
- Scroll down and select "Other", then "Add Mail Account".
- Fill in your name, address and password.
- Click "Next".
- Make sure "IMAP" is selected at the top.
- Enter details for the incoming server based on Settings for Receiving under "Incoming Mail Server" - your password should already be entered.
- Scroll down and enter details for the outgoing server based on Settings for Settings under "Outgoing Mail Server".
- Click "Next" - the details will be verified.
- If successful, uncheck "Notes" (iCloud does this for you), and click "Save".
Forward to Gmail / Another Email Address
- (To Do)
This can be useful if you do not have access to the internet, or are diagnosing problems with the email setup. Note, this will only work on campus, or when connected to the VPN.
- Connect to ystv.york.ac.uk
- For Windows, open PuTTY, enter the hostname ystv.york.ac.uk and hit enter. Enter your YSTV username and password.
- For Mac/Linux, open a terminal, type "ssh firstname.lastname@example.org", and enter your password.
- Type "alpine" and hit enter.
- Navigate using the arrow keys, and the keyboard shortcuts displayed at the bottom of the window.